• What is phonic ?
- “Phonics is a method of teaching people to read in which they are taught to recognise the sounds that letters make”
Longman Dictionary p. 1058
Why do we teach phonics ?
- •Learning the alphabet and learning how to read are the usual objectives of nearly all syllabi for young children
- •Phonics forms the basis for understanding and decoding English as it is written
- •These characters, when arranged together in a certain way – as a word – become representative of something
s u n
How can we teach phonics ?
- •These words, when arranged in a certain way – as a sentence – allow us to communicate
The sun is hot.
* Analytic approach
An awareness of sounds is introduced after sight reading has begun. Letter sounds are taught
blue, boy, ball, bag
* Synthetic approach
• Letters and their sounds are taught before reading commences as preparation for teaching
reading through sounding out letters and blending sounds
b b b b
u u u u
s s s s.....bus..bus
•-However, most teachers will combine the two approaches in order to teach phonetic and
•-What approach do you use? How do you teach the alphabet and reading?